Crime Prevention Tips for People Going Away on Vacation
We are now entering the vacation season when people leave their homes for one or two weeks at a time. A common question asked by the owner is: “I’m going away on vacation, how can I protect my home from being broken into?” Unfortunately, nothing can guarantee that your home won’t be broken into but, I have listed 8 helpful points that will make it harder for the would be thief.
- Stop all deliveries or have a neighbor pick up your mail and newspaper daily.
- Don’t close your blinds or pull your shades down. This advertises your house is empty.
- Don’t discuss your absence in public where people you do not know could overhear you.
- Use a clock timer to turn your lights on and off. This makes your house appear occupied.
- If you are going to be gone for an extended period of time, arrange to have your lawn mowed.
- Move your valuables so they are not visible through the windows.
- Make sure lawn furniture, bicycles, etc. are locked in the garage or cellar.
- Arrange with a neighbor or the police for a house check while you’re away.